In order to foster a nurturing and productive environment for student, parent, and teacher, I have created the following studio policies for my private studio.
Gospel Outreach families: Expectations for Lessons, Teacher Performance Schedule, and Holiday Schedule still apply. For all other policies, please contact me directly.
Beckman Violin Studio Policies
Greetings! And welcome to the Beckman studio. I am looking forward to exploring the wonderful world of music with you! Please read the following policies carefully, and feel free to ask if you have any questions.
Academic Year, Location, and Rates
The 2018-19 academic year runs from September 10, 2018 through June 14, 2019. During that period there will be 26 lesson weeks. Tuition for lessons is divided by 9 months (rounding to the nearest dollar) and includes a non-refundable group class and recital fee of $100 per child. Tuition is due at the first lesson of each month except December. Summer lessons are strongly encouraged and are available on a per lesson basis.
Location and times: Tuesdays 4-5 pm
Wednesdays 2-5 pm
908 East Bay Drive NE #201, Olympia, WA
Tuition Rates for 2018-2019: 1/2 hour: $112 monthly ($35 per lesson)
3/4 hour: $156 monthly ($50 per lesson)
1 hour: $184 monthly ($60 per lesson)
Semimonthly group classes will be held at St. John’s Episcopal Church on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 pm. Attendance at the majority of group classes is required, as it is a wonderful time for students to have fun with and be inspired by other musically minded children. Fees for group class are included in tuition and are non-refundable.
Group Classes for 2016-2017:
September 11, 2018
October 9, 23
November 6, 27
January 15, 2019
March 5, 26
May 7, 21
There will one solo recital in the spring. Date TBA.
Expectations for Lessons
I strive to foster a positive and fun lesson environment, but I also expect students and parents to work hard and to take the study of music seriously. To that end, I ask the following of all students and their families:
• Please arrive for your lesson about 5 minutes early in order to have time to get ready (e.g. unpack, use the bathroom, etc.) so that your lesson can start at our scheduled time. Please enter and unpack quietly so as not to disturb the preceding lesson.
• I expect students to come to their lessons prepared, having practiced all the points covered in the previous lesson.
• I expect parents to be active observers of the lesson and to bring with them a notebook for taking notes during the lesson. Please put away and silence all other work or activities during the lesson. Knitting and other quiet activities may be done during group classes only.
• Cell phones or other devices may only be used for activities pertaining to the lesson (for taking pictures of correct posture, videos of a song or game, notes if that is your preference, etc.) or if there is some extenuating circumstance and their use has been pre-approved by me.
• Siblings are welcome to come to lessons as long as they sit quietly and entertain themselves (as appropriate for their age) with drawing, reading, or other such non-technological activities. They may also watch and possibly even participate at times.
Lessons missed due to illness or family emergency will be made up at a mutually agreeable time. Lessons missed due to any other reason and with at least one week’s prior notice (excused absence) will be made up as my schedule allows. Lessons missed without sufficient prior notice (unexcused absences) will not be made up. No refund will be given for missed lessons.
Teacher Performance Schedule
I maintain a busy performing schedule as a baroque violinist and frequently travel to perform with ensembles in other cities. Dates when I will be gone (see below) have been factored into the academic year, and lessons missed during these weeks will not be made-up. In the event that I accept additional performing work during the course of this year, I will make every attempt to give each student their full number of lessons for the year through rescheduling of lessons as necessary. If lessons cannot be rescheduled during the regular academic year, the price of missed lessons will be credited towards summer lessons. Lesson credit is forfeited if not used before the start of the following academic year.
Dates I will be gone as of September 27, 2018:
September 24-30, 2018
October 2-7, 2018
October 15-21, 2018
December 3-16, 2018
January 7-13, 2019
January 21-26, 2019
February 18-24, 2019
March 11-17, 2019
April 11-14, 2019 (note: there WILL be lessons on April 9 and 10, regular lesson days)
April 22-May 5, 2019
The studio will observe the following holidays:
Thanksgiving Holiday – November 22-23, 2018
Winter Break – December 24, 2018 – January 4, 2019
Spring Break – April 1-5, 2019
Memorial Day – May 27, 2019