In order to foster a nurturing and productive environment for student, parent, and teacher, I have created the following studio policies for my private studio.
Gospel Outreach families: Expectations for Lessons, Teacher Performance Schedule, and Holiday Schedule still apply. For all other policies, please contact me directly.
Beckman Violin Studio Policies
Greetings! And welcome to the Beckman studio. I am looking forward to exploring the wonderful world of music with you! Please read the following policies carefully. Please also feel free to ask if you have any questions!
Academic Year, Location, and Rates
The academic year for the studio runs from September 20, 2016 through June 16, 2017. During this period there will be 31 lesson weeks. Lessons are paid for monthly with payment due at the first lesson of the month. Summer lessons are strongly encouraged and are available on a per lesson basis.
Location and times: Tuesdays 3:30-9:00 pm
2020 22nd Ave SE, Olympia, WA 98501
Other days and times by special arrangement
Rates for 2016-2017:
$30 per ½ hour lesson
$40 per ¾ hour lesson
$50 per 1 hour lesson
For families with multiple children taking individual lessons, there is a 10% discount for the second child (the lesson of equal or lesser price) and a 5% discount for each child thereafter.
Semimonthly group classes will be held at NOVA School on Tuesdays from 4:30 to 5:30 in conjunction with the studio of Katrin St. Clair. While not mandatory, attendance at group class is strongly encouraged, as it is a wonderful time for students to have fun with and be inspired by other musically minded children.
Group Classes for 2016-2017:
September 20, 2016
October 4, 18
November 1, 22
January 3, 24, 2017
February 7, 28
March 7, 21
May 2, 16
Expectations for Lessons
I strive to foster a positive and fun lesson environment, but I also expect students and parents to work hard and to take the study of music seriously. To that end, I ask the following of all students and their families:
• Please arrive for your lesson about 5 minutes early in order to have time to get ready (e.g. unpack, use the bathroom, etc.) so that your lesson can start at our scheduled time. Please enter and unpack quietly so as not to disturb the preceding lesson.
• I expect students to come to their lessons prepared, having practiced all the points covered in the previous lesson.
• I expect parents to be active observers of the lesson and to bring with them a notebook for taking notes during the lesson. Please put away and silence all other work or activities during the lesson. Knitting and other quiet activities may be done during group classes only.
• Cell phones or other devices may only be used for activities pertaining to the lesson (for taking pictures of correct posture, videos of a song or game, notes if that is your preference, etc.) or if there is some extenuating circumstance and their use has been pre-approved by me.
• Siblings are welcome to come to lessons as long as they sit quietly and entertain themselves (as appropriate for their age) with drawing, reading, or other such non-technological activities. They may also watch and possibly even participate at times.
Lessons missed due to illness or family emergency will be made up at a mutually agreeable time. Lessons missed due to any other reason and with at least one week’s prior notice (excused absence) will be made up as my schedule allows. Lessons missed without sufficient prior notice (unexcused absences) will not be made up. No refund will be given for missed lessons.
Teacher Performance Schedule
I maintain a busy performing schedule as a baroque violinist and frequently travel to perform with ensembles in other cities. For this reason there may be times when I will not be available at our regularly scheduled lesson time. I will make every attempt to give each student the full number of lessons scheduled for each month based on the studio calendar through rescheduling of lessons as necessary. There may be times, however, when this is not possible. In such cases, the price of the missed lessons will be credited to the next month’s tuition.
Dates I will be gone as of September 1, 2016:
Weeks for which lessons will not be rescheduled are reflected in the number of lesson weeks in the year.
September 13-17, 2016 (lessons will not be rescheduled for these dates)
October 10-16, 2016 (lessons will not be rescheduled for these dates)
October 25-29, 2016
November 15-20, 2016
November 29, 2016
December 12-18, 2016 (lessons will not be rescheduled for these dates)
January 10, 2017
January 17, 2017
January 26-28, 2017
January 30-February 5, 2017 (lessons will not be rescheduled for these dates)
February 14-19, 2017
February 20-March 3, 2017 (one lesson for each student will be scheduled during this period)
March 14-18, 2017
May 8-12, 2017 (lessons will not be rescheduled for these dates)
The studio will observe the following holidays:
Thanksgiving Holiday – November 23-25, 2016
Winter Break – December 19-30, 2016
*Martin Luther King Jr. Day – January 16, 2017
Spring Break – April 3-7, 2017
*Memorial Day – May 29, 2017
*Monday lessons missed due to the Monday holidays will be made up later the same week.